So, what do you think? a Yak-38 Forger?

So, what do you think? a Yak-38 Forger?

Postby Ron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 pm

A very, quick question, you think we should get this bird on? (this is the actual mesh)

Best regards

Ron
Ron

Re: So, what do you think? a Yak-38 Forger?

Postby JamesChams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Absolutely! 8-)

It didn't have the same rep. that the Harrier does, but it was one of a kind... and it would be nice to have 2 VTOL's to fly/compare with. ;)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

JamesChams

Postby Hank » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Wow....getting the Yak-38 into FSX? I would say YESSS ! 8-)

Cheers
Hank

Postby Hangar200 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:13 pm

JamesChams wrote: It didn't have the same rep. that the Harrier does, but it was one of a kind... and it would be nice to have 2 VTOL's to fly/compare with. ;)

You are quite correct - actually a bad rep - limited gas, couldn't carry much ordnance under good conditions - get into hot weather and forget it, you are not carrying anything. Its configuration (lift engines fwd with swivel nozzle main engines in the rear - combined with the fact that the soviet era KIEV-class CVHGs didn't have a ski jump deck meant it was limited to VTOL ops at sea - again limiting how much it could carry. There's a chapter in the late Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" that describes a YAK-38 encounter with F-15s that probably captures the sense of its limitations well.

All of which is why I'd love to see it - definitely a challenge to fly - have to really pay attention to weights and balance, probably not over stressing the engines, etc.

BTW there is a pretty good looking KIEV CVHG by Harri Thaha & Hadi Tahir that would complement this as an AI carrier.

As a former Cold Warrior I'd really like fly this thing.
Regards,
Hangar200
Hangar200

Return to Previews